Introduction to Patient Advocacy Only Option
We are currently recruiting for Summer 2019, and we encourage you to apply soon because recruitment will end once the class is full – we are already 1/5 full as of August 2018.
This online course is offered as part of the Consumer Health Advocacy Certificate, or as a standalone non-credit course for students wishing to either explore patient advocacy or enhance their present professional practice. We can not retrospectively convert non-credit courses to credit courses or vice versa.
Those who may be unsure whether they want to participate in the whole certificate are also encouraged to enroll in order to determine if the certificate is of benefit for professional or personal interests.
About the Course
This online course provides a comprehensive overview of the core skills employed in patient advocacy. Emphasis is placed on access and application of information, critical thinking and reflective practice, creative and collaborative problem-solving, and communication. Specific course topics include:
- Introduction to the Patient Advocacy Field
- Healthcare Systems Overview
- Independent Learning
- Patient Perspectives
- Communication 1 – Listening and Empathy
- Communication 2 – Empowerment and Capacity Building
- Caring Carefully (Cultural Competency and Health Literacy)
- Ethics and Professionalism
- End of Life
- Framing Decisions
- Creative Problem-solving and Collaboration
– Lynne, IPA Student
Step 1: Optional Advising Session
Our advisors are available to help you explore your interest in health advocacy, and help you make the best choice for your learning and career goals.
If you are interested in an advising session with one of our advisors, contact us at 608.265.6267 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Step 2: Apply
Fill out the application below with:
- A personal statement
- Your resume*
* You can attach your resume. You may also mail in your resume. If you have any questions, please contact us. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis.
Step 3: Enroll
Upon acceptance, you will receive information about scheduling, payment ($2001), enrollment, and other logistics.